For a lot of people, there comes a time when you have simply acquired too many possessions over the years and storage space becomes a problem. This is especially true for those living in townhomes or apartments where you don’t have much space to keep the extra stuff. Or more likely, when are in transitions for a new home or a new job in different cities and need temporary storage. Let’s look at two types of modern storage solutions offered in the market.
Mobile storage is a self-storage system that basically brings a storage container, also called a pod or a module, to your door step at your request. This unique storage concept only requires you to pack your goods into the container or pay the company to pack it for you after which you lock the container with your own padlock so that no one else will be able to access your module. The company then transfers your stuff to their climate-controlled storage facility. Some storage providers will sell boxes, locks and other packaging suppliers to their clients to make packing and safekeeping easier for them In terms of flexibility, they usually offer both short-term and long-term storage.
• Mobile storage saves expenses for renting moving trucks.
• It is suitable for people who are short on time or with busy schedules.
• It saves you time in terms of packing, loading, unloading and travel. The containers are delivered right in front of your door and taken away when you are done.
• Most of these companies will not allow 24/7 access and you will therefore be required to make an appointment.
• The prices can be a little bit higher than the traditional storage concept.
Traditional storage is a self-storage solution where a storage unit is rented out in a storage facility. This can either be short term or long term storage. Some providers may offer truck rentals as well as packing and moving supplies.
As soon as you sign a lease, you are assigned a unit based on your size preference which can range from a small locker to a unit that can fit all the furniture of an entire household. You are then given access to the facility.
• Sizes vary from small, medium to larger rooms where you can even fit an entire household in there.
• Most of these facilities offer cheap storage with storage prices varying from short term to long term storage.
• You are allowed 24/7 access to your storage space.
• You are allowed to bring your own lock so no one can access your space.
• Highly advanced technology security systems to ensure the safety of your stuff.
• You have to rent a moving truck to transport your stuff
• You have to do the loading and unloading personally or hire hands.
• Some companies require an upfront or security deposit.
Now that you know the pros and cons of both types, it is up to you to decide which is the right one for you storage needs.